View Single Post

I did a fairly long stint in the motorcycle endurance racing world, where nothing but synth oil is used. All of the boutique brands (Redline, Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.) were well represented, and a few (even at the F1 500cc 2-cycle level) used Mobile 1. IMO these guys beat the living you-know-what out of oils - some motors were air/oil cooled when I was there (all are water cooled now, but the Suzuki 4-cycles were oil cooled until the mid 90's), running very high temps @ 9,000 - 15,000 RPM for 6 hours. I saw no oil breakdown related failures with any of these - granted formulations may have changed a bit since then, but IMO any of these oils are more than up to the task of use in even very modified 930's.

The important part is to completely heat cycle the car when you use it (moisture is a killer no matter what oil you use so you need to get the WHOLE motor over 212 deg F EVERY time you drive to 'boil' out condensation), and to change oil and filters routinely.

If you want good outhouse reading, check out many of the oil filter articles - these are definately not the place to skimp (filter), as many will pass dirt straight thru once an internal pressure is exceeded. Also, as with the motor itself, moisture really screws up paper pleatings in a filter, which in turn could let a lot of shavings and dirt straight into your bearing journals the next time you fire that motor up.....
Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)