View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Porschefile
Yes, that's understandable and it completely makes sense that custom made parts can and normally will cost more. However $4k is ridiculous IMO. Here's an example to prove my point: Full Race This is an apples to oranges comparison but, you get the idea. I can find examples of this kind of stuff all day. That's higher quality, robotically TIG welded, designed with expensive CAD and CFD software (that costs much more than any of these manifolds). There is no reason we cannot have the same quality stuff built for comparable prices. I don't know about some of you guys but, I want my money's worth. I'm not paying more for something than is necessary simply because it's a smaller market and retailers think they can. There are any number of local shops that are excellent at fabrication and header design and that could easily replicate my Billet Design headers for ~$2k. It's the same story with intercoolers and other parts for our cars. Why buy a $2k+ IC when it's only ~$500 in parts with a reputable retailer/tuner name stamped on it?
IMO you aren't going to get a good set of headers or intercooler for the same price as a high volume motor. It ain't going to happen. Price out the parts for Marko's headers. I think if he uses Burns collectors they are $281 each. That is nearly $600 if you don't have a calc. handy. Then you have to buy the U-bends and flanges. So now you have about $1000 in parts. And if you can find someone to weld up the parts for $1000 they are an idiot and not charging enough money for there skills.

I have built headers for 930's. It is a lot of work. Marko's headers are worth the price. If you don't belive me, build a set.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)