View Single Post

Garage
Some questions and my thoughts on 930 intercooler design:
(please add your questions and thoughts or tell me why mine are wrong )

Flow front to back or side to side?

Many books state that most heat transfer takes place during the first few inches of the intercooler passages. This favors the front to back. If this isn’t true, the side to side might be more efficient.
The front to back has more hot air area so there’s less restriction.
Since the front to back has more area, the air moves slower and has more time to cool.
There are some high hp 930’s out there with side to side, so what are some benefits? Has anyone done back to back comparisons?

Full bay?

Seems like a no brainer here. More cooling air surface so more efficient.

Thick or thin core?

Thin is lighter.
If most heat transfer takes place in the first few inches, then thinner should be adequate.
If you live in an area with hot and humid air, a thick core might help by giving more time for the heat transfer to take place, it might also act as a better heat sink due to the added mass.

Bare aluminum, polished , painted, or anodized.

Bare aluminum is easiest and cheapest.
Polished would reduce heat transfer between the intercooler and the surrounding areas; if the engine is hotter than the intercooler, this would be better.
Painted would insulate more and reduce heat transfer so my vote is no paint.
Anodized black would increase the heat transfer so if the intercooler is hotter than the engine bay this would be better.

Splitters and end tanks have already been discussed in this thread so I’ll leave that topic alone.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)