View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
You do have to realize that we're talking air cooled 2 valve Porsche's here, and not 4 valve, high c/r watercooled honda's/supra's. The difference being that we make about 8.5 hp/lb/hr vs. they can make about 10. So, a 70# compressor can make 700hp strapped out on a Honda, but only about 595hp on a Porsche. And that's running it to it's limits where the efficiencies aren't so good. They do it at huge boost pressures on the Supra's, Honda's, Subaru's, and Evo's...

BTW, that air filter shield looks good. Might very well work, but what happens when a rock bounces up and around to the top where it's not protected?
Yeah, I completely realize that. Regardless, the turbo is large enough that with a modded F6, hotter cams (like Gt2 Evo), and a higher rpm band it would still be possible to push 700whp, though it would still require around ~30psi. Hardly anyone around here ever runs any serious boost pressure anyways. A 70mm compressor will certainly make more than 595whp on a 3.0l+ f6! Keep in mind, I'm talking high boost. It seems all anyone ever wants to run around here is ~1-1.3 bar, and if that's the case then even a big 70+mm turbo isn't going to come close to 700whp. I understand keeping boost down for longevity but, there's nothing wrong with throwing some race gas in once in a while and turning the boost up (assuming a proper tune and motor that can handle it) quite a bit higher ever so often.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)