View Single Post

I still haven't ironed out an exact motor configuration for my setup yet. I've been trying to be realistic and set my sights on "only" 500whp. I'd really like to break 600whp, though I keep catching myself thinking about 700whp. Geez, even at 430whp my car is plenty fast and tons of fun. It's not that I think I need that much power but, I'm just into the whole big turbo thing and I think it would be fun to build a setup to accomplish it. Either way, head cooling is one thing I'm not too sure about at the moment. I realize it's an issue, and I also have no illusions of sustaining something like 700whp with a "street" motor. Realistically I'd probably only do a couple of high boost runs on the dyno and would rarely ever run that much boost again. I am pretty sure I want to stick with a 3.4l. I've talked to several well known people, including Todd @ Protomotive and Chris Carroll @ Turbokraft and I'd like to do the valvetrain to withstand ~7500-8000rpm. I'm also thinking if I truly do want to come close to 700whp that I might go with a Precision T71 or T72 GTQ with a .81 exhaust side (divided if they make one) and their ballbearing option. Even on a 3.4l either of those turbos wouldn't be too laggy for me (I don't mind 4-4.5k full boost) and at least they would give me more than enough room that I wouldn't have to run as much boost.

As far as the oil pump, I remember seeing/hearing about GT3 or GT3R oil pumps being modified to fit aircooled motors which might be worth looking into. They are certainly equipped to sustain oil pressure at higher rpm. As for rods, I have Carillo rods and Mahle low CR pistons. I've thought about coatings among other things. At this point I'm really not sure about anything except that I want to stick with a 3.4l and I'd really like to be able to handle 8000rpm or close to it. I think the head side of things is what I am the most unsure of. As many books as I've read, sites that I've browsed, and people I've talked to, I can't remember seeing much about head flow cfm #'s so I'm not too knowledgeable about what Carrera heads are capable of flowing. Sure would be nice to find a set of 962 watercooled heads laying around to solve those heat issues!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)