View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry_Ratcliff
engine selection would it be better to get a 3.2 or a 3.6

I have been giving a lot of thought to the converting of my car to a turbo. At first I was thinking that just getting a 3.2 carrera engine and turbo charging that but now I am starting to think that getting a 3.6 964 engine to start with would be a better place to start.

My goal is to have an engine that has plenty of power outside of the boost to make it easy to drive on the street. I was also thinking that the 964 engine is already twin plugged so really if you look at the price difference between the two engines the cost of twin plugging a 3.2 would bring them to about the same initial cost.

The 964 intake looks almost identical to the 3.2 carrera ... and I am thinking the added displacement is a very nice bonus.

The one thing that I thought might be a problem is finding the correct size turbo for a single turbo 3.6 application. It seems that most 3.6 applications were all twin turbo ... with the exception of 1 year (I could be wrong on this point).

To narrow my question I guess I would really like to know advantages or disadvantages of starting with a 3.6 vs a 3.2. I would also like to know of available turbos for the 3.6 vs the 3.2.
Lastly, I am guessing that if a single turbo set up for the 3.6 is limited that the twin turbo would add an order of magnitude to the cost to the turbo set up. In other words would it make more sense to just buy a stock 3.6 TT engine vs trying to turbo charge a N.A. 3.6.

The method behind my madness is that it seems that most people that buy stock turbo engines end up changing the exhaust, turbo, fuel injection etc... and the premium that has to be paid for the turbo engine is pretty high so I am trying to get the words of wisdom from the people who have already been down this road.

thanks in advance for your responses.
Larry Ratcliff
Old 02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)