Thread: Cam choices
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Lukesportsman
Merv,

Since I've now purchased the same P&C's as you along with the 3.2 longblock, I've got a few questions. Did you continue to run the C2 turbo head gaskets after switching to the low compression pistons? I thought I heard somewhere that you don't have to with the 3.2 heads?

Did you have any cam/piston clearance issues with the 965 pistons? Do you know what timing you set the GT2 cams at?

Thanks
Hi Luke. Yes, I run the C2T head gaskets with the 97mm P&C's. Todd Knighton recommended them as they provide a better seal for up to ~1.4bar. Anything over that, then Nerosist rings should be used between liners/heads. The C2T head gaskets will support ~60lb/ft more torque before the heads will lift off, as opposed to not using any sealing technique. Well, that's what I learnt from Todd and I don't doubt his ability to build big power motors

Mind you, with high quality ARP fasteners, I don't think heads lifting would be an issue. I just wanted a little extra insurance as I occassionally run it up to 1.2-1.3bar.

With flame rings, the heads will crack before the actual sealing rings do That's how durable flame ringing is. You should consider it if you're planning mega-boost, like Juan Ruiz did

I can't remember what the timing was for the GT2 CAMs. The timing settings came with the CAMs and I just supplied them to the engine builder and lost track of it I'm sure Todd would have the specs as he uses those CAMs religiously.

EDIT: I also used thicker base cylinder shims and had the barrels machined down at the base to get the desired C/R, again, as per Todd's recommendations.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition

Last edited by WydRyd; 02-15-2007 at 09:49 PM..
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)