View Single Post

When I grew up, my rich uncle always had Porsches. I rode in his various 911's, from targa to cabrio to hard top. I stuck my head out the sunroof, I asked him to go faster when he went through the twisties at about 80. Then he got the last model 928, with like 317 HP or more. It felt so strong at even the slowest speeds. You could feel torque in that car like no other, and it was luxourious.

I owned a vintage Camaro SS and Olds Cutlass, both with huge engines and 4:11 rear axles, which is basically super low gearing. Those cars would simply crush you into the seat and give you whiplash from a stoplight. But the experience never got much different than that, with a flat torque curve and no real dips or peaks. Ultimately, neither of those cars accelerated as quickly as my 930, even if they pushed you into the seat.

I had a Suzuki and then Kawasaki sportbike. They got to 60 mph easily in two and a half seconds, a hundred in five, a quarter mile in ten, and 200 mph if you were going downhill with the wind at your back. Bikes are intense, and fast.

But the 930 takes the cake, somehow. If a muscle car feels like you are sitting upright in an reclining chair, and somebody suddenly shoves you in the chest and makes you fall back in the seat; a 930 is like being in the movie theater in a reclining chair watching Star Trek, and at the exact moment that the Starship hits Warp Speed and everything rushes past you, somebody suddenly body slams you back into your seat. It is just more intense somehow when the boost hits.

Bikes give you a sort of weightless feeling, almost like you are floating on top. The sensation of speed is wicked, but there is very little sensation of actual torque, so it is more like being at the movies and watching Star Trek hit warp speed, but with no real body slam.

After two decades of fast cars and bikes, I got a Porsche out of respect for the marque. The otherwordly sensation of warp speed when you hit the boost totally surprised me because it combines the best aspects of my bikes and muscle cars into one experience.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)