View Single Post

Garage
3DLZ VS K27 Turbos

Probably haven't seen this comparison before! My 87 930 has the factory 3DLZ turbo and it behaves like this :

Spools up and creates positive intake manifold pressure around ~2900-3K (The Fabspeed exhaust lowered the spool up RPM) (it seams OK) Stick your foot in the throttle and the boost gauge immediately gos to .8 and you hear the typical retrorocket sound from the waistgate (1 Bar Spring) I was curious about this opening at .8 and ask some questions and I was told that was typical early bleed off and it was functioning properly.

Now my Question:

What will a K27 do for me if the stock turbo pressure is dumped by the waste gate anyway? Spool up a little sooner? It makes some sense to me if I want to run higher boost that the stock 3DLZ coudnt provide. I hear thats taboo and stick with the 1 bar spring..But again It seems I would want higher boost with a more efficient intercooler and and optimal fuel delivery. Right?

What is a good setup? What type turbo and IC and WG for the street? Within $ practical reason!

P.S. Anybody want some Kenisis wheels for a turbo?

Thanks

Bob Snyder

**In Physics, violent accelleration is exciting and expensive, violent decelleration is infinitely more expensive.***
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)