View Single Post
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Talking Tial Waste Gate Spring Color Chart

As some of you may know, my turbo was hitting the factory overboost almost instantly (by 3500 RPM) in 3rd and 4th (and would most likely do the same in 5th if I had enough road and big enough gonads to keep my foot in it).

When I bought my car the sensor was just grounded out, and the car was running super rich, but thats another story.

After doing some research and asking some questions (thanks Criag), we pulled the Tial off and hooked up a guage and tried opening the WG with compressed air. Well, lets just say it wouldn't open very easily. So once the WG was carefully put in a press (since we weren't sure what kind of spring was in it) it was taken apart. Thanks to Steven and his son at Poudre Sports Car for putting my car on the lift and doing all of this for free.

There was a large green spring and a small red one in there. After doing some searching, the green is .8 bar, and the red .3 bar, so my car had a total of 1.1 bar springs in it. That easily explanined the overboost I was hitting.

Once we took the .3 bar one out, and re-installed the WG, we hooked up a temporary boost gauge and tooke the car for a spin. It ran great, the gauge went to 15 psi, and it would peg it extremely quickly, but you could hear the wastegate opening.

As help for anyone else that buys a car a Tial, I have posted a chart that breaks out the colors of each spring.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)