View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by h20cooled7
20/50 has any1 experienced low oil tank levels until warm then the level is fine? is this normal. no oil light and the druck presures are high.
I think you need to warm up the engine just to check the oil level, so my understanding is that this oil fluctuation is normal, in fact my oil level changes when I am driving versus idling by a little bit. Also the oil pressure seems to change once you are under way. I think you should look at your levels when you are driving with a warm engine as your best indication.

I have heard from more than one mechanic that you really don't want a full oil tank, it is better to be about half a quart short so that your oil level is no higher than the mid range on your gauge. You can ask around for the reason, but this is something I do religiously. I don't max out my oil gauge, I am always a little short. I think it may keep your engine from having too much oil pressure, but I am not sure of the exact reason. My mechanic won't fill it past the half way point on my gauge, he just doesn't think it is a good idea.

Last edited by DDDD; 03-06-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Old 03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)