View Single Post
Me like track days

I tried not to read too much into one simple 4 second run. It is A test, one parameter.

Here's what that one blast consisted of:
1) Stop and go driving in the city, onto an on ramp, then a short stop at a ramp metering light.
2) Full throttle 0-70 blast up the merging lane and onto the freeway.

Slowing back down to abou 40 mph (traffic), the IC temps dropped a degree per second.

What can this show?
This simple test can serve as a replication of just toolin' around the city or freeway, then a full throttle run,
and what the resultant IC temps can be.
This is the sort of blasts that most of us do on the street (highway), anyway - either this, or 40 mph -80mph runs etc, etc.
the sort of stuff that we all do with our 930s.

There are numerous tests / infinite replication possibilities of different situations.....sitting, track use, sustained high speed,
higher boost, larger/smaller/stock intercoolers....

I'm presonally more interested in situations that replicate real world usage - like the test I did, plus track use - but here are some data some may like:
When parked after freeway use, the IC temp goes up about 35 degrees -- to about 120 degrees. Drops to about 80 or 90 within 3 minutes of easy 35 mph driving.
Recall that this is when EVERYTHING is heat soaked - all tubes, turbo, intercoolers, everything is quite hot at a standstill.

More data:
IC outlet temperature can reach 135-140 on a track day - lap after lap, very hard use on an 80 degree day .
Local shop said this is actually not bad at all, and what he sees with MOTEC EFI cars with larger intercoolers.
Temperature falls much more rapidly on track - about 2+ degrees per second - so I see the temperature go down to about 95 on every lap.

Hang tight, and I'll do some more tests, and some more numbers -

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 03-09-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)