View Single Post

Garage
The removal of the nuts on the HE was tough... I left PB blaster on cotton balls stuck to the nuts for 3 days ( re-soaked 'em every day) before i decided to go for it... The barrel nut tool is definitely required and I purchased the 8mm long drive tool from our host. I was successful with 9 out of 12... 3 barrel nuts wound up backing out with the stud. Those I had to bench vise and work with Mapp gas torch to separate. Once separated I slotted the studs so I could use a flat blade screw driver to seat them in with locktite... I let them set up over night and re-installed new barrel nuts after lathering all parts with anti-seize....I feel comfortable that when I am ready to replace the HE with a new header set up I should be able to move pretty quick...

Hey rarly... thanks for the link ... while I respect John Walker I was concerned about his use of the 1/8 tapered plug... I do foresee a time when I will put everything back on the car... and I certainly dont want to damage the threads.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)