View Single Post

Question On Alternator? Are These Cars Hard On Them?

Guys - I have been nursing my alternator for months, it has got exponentially worse lately and with the fear of being stranded, ordered a new one (rather reman. Bosch unit) from Imagine.

I removed the old one which was not bad at all except for my large hands! Took a couple of hours taking my time. For those who have never done it...its not bad at all.

I noticed that my car had a re-man. alternator (thought I was going to find the original unit) in it and so this at minimum is the 3rd alternator in the car. My car has 58K on it and so thats alot of alternators for very low mileage.

I am thinking that previous owners probably let the car sit for long times, letting the battery drain down and then jumped in the car and the alternator was working overtime to charge a really low battery, contributing to a very much reduced life of the alternator itself.

-Or- are these cars typically hard on alternators?

Your thoughts?

I will post up new pics after I get my fan and housing back from the Powder Coaters. Ironically I was talking to Schnele (Lincoln) on the 'phone just as I was starting yesterday morning....LOL! "Hi" Linc!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Regards - Yasin
Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)