View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Yasin,
I think the main thing that fails on these units is the rear bearing. Usually it's because of improper belt tension(too high) that causes bearing loads that accelerate bearing wear. A lot of people fail to check the belt tension after the engine of fully up to temperature which will actually be tighter after the first adjustment cold. I tend to set mine on the loose side of the spec and then recheck after the belt has run in.
The brushes also seem to wear out quicker than our American counterparts. I've seen brushes and slip rings completely worn after only 70K miles. Maybe that was an exception.
If you have a alternator or starter repair shop in your area, getting your alternator rebuilt by them is a far more cost effective solution. I had mine rebuilt for $55 by Fondy Electric and they did a great job. These alternators are not that uncommon. Sure, the mainshafts are different than anything out there, but the internals are used by a number of foreign cars.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)