View Single Post

Long block questions.

I have owned a 1985 Turbo Look 911 for just over 5 years (the car only has 54K miles) and I finally want to step up in terms of power. I have also owned a very fast Turbo Buick (10 second in 1/4 car) and after years of ownership I am fed up with the constant electrical problems that seems inherit with every Turbo Buick, along with the car's boat like handling, substandard brakes, and so many other aspects I just don't want to deal with. While that Turbo Buick had many problems it spoiled me in terms of sheer power and acceleration. My Porsche on the other hand I am very happy with its handling, brakes, and overall design. I just want my 911 to have more power, about 3 times the current output!

I had Accel DFi on the Buick and I think for the Porsche I would like to use a motec m48 for control of the fuel and ignition. I think I have a handle on turbo selection as well. The area I have the most questions with is building up the long block itself for this project. I want to make an honest 600 hp to the wheels running C16, I would really like to make this power level on 100 unleaded or 100 low lead AV gas but I realize that may be a bit of a pipe dream. I want to use the 3.2 case, heads, and most likely crank. However if another crank is recommend I would consider using it. I want as much displacement as reliably possible; could I go to 3.4 or even up to a 3.6 without any adverse effects?

I would like to know what diameter pistons, and cylinders are recommended along with the best rods to use (I was thinking of going with the JE pistons and cylinders, and the Carrillo H beam rods.) Also how much displacement will this combo yield with the 3.2 crank? Also what other crank could be used and how much displacement gain would the engine receive?

How important is the twin plug conversion at this stage and why is it so crucial? (From my push-rod V-6 and V-8 background extracting massive amount of power reliably with just 1 plug per cylinder is an easy task)

What cams are most people running in their turbo engines at the power levels I am looking for?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)