View Single Post

I used the old GEN-6 DFi on my T-Type. Mine was the fully sequential unit that handled low impedance injectors with ease unlike the Gen 6 bath fire ECU (my Buick had 83 lb/hr. injectors ) GEN-7 is light years ahead of the GEN-6, the DOS based software was honestly outstanding when the final revision made it's debut, but that was back in 1993! The newer systems make many things so much easier. More data, more analysis (no longer do I have to print out values and enter into excel or mini tab) Data acquisition is vastly improved with higher sampling rates, more data logging capability, and much better logic for varying of the fuel/ignition maps during undesirable/unpredictable scenarios. GEN-6 DFi did not even have an option for a wide band O2 sensor, this can make tuning very frustrating at times. The old DFi can typically get the job done just as good as the newer systems but getting it to that point is much more time consuming and it is a lot easier to unintentionally mess up along the way.

Like many other Turbo Buick owners I never used a dyno to tune, most Turbo Buick owners just tune at the drag strip. Not the best way to do things but it worked. I will get a good bit of dyno time on this Porsche as I am not interested in merely sending this car at wide open throttle down a 1/4 mile of blacktop. I want the engine to do well in all scenarios.

I want to do the majority of the tuning myself (starts out because I am cheap, ending up I will spend so much time it would probably be more effective to take it to someone and just pay them ) I have looked at the new GEN-7 Accel DFi, the MoTeC M48 and M600 systems, several Haltech products, F.A.S.T, SDS EM-4 6F, even the DIY MegaSquirt system.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)