View Single Post

Garage
3 days and 20 hours under the car.....and still more!

Wow .... what a job... I thank god I didnt have a mechanic do the work..at $100 bucks an hour!!!!

I tore into the car planning to do the oil change and valve adjustment. Talk about having to remove allot of crap to get to it ... the engine compartment is littered with little white tags as to were stuff goes( most of it the vacum lines for the air injection system).. well I kept going.. off came the bumper and a little restoration...then came the muffler...the cat... the turbo...the oil sump for the turbo....the waste gate....couldn't get the left side intermediate pipes off /frozen rusted bolts...decided to drop both heat exchangers and the cross over pipe as a single unit.... Yeah man that worked!! ( 10 months ago I decided to remove all the nuts and barrel nuts from the exchangers to make sure I wouldn't ever -cross my fingers- get a broken stud)... pulled the air manifold out of the exhaust ports( all air injection stuff officially gone!!).... had to cut off 6 out of 9 bolts holding the three units together. So I am off to get hardware and yikes.... put everything back together. Wish me luck!!!

Oh yeah I ordered a GHL muffler from our sponsor ... ( decided against a CAT bypass) Looks like they have locked me into the GHL headers down the road.

Anyone out there have just the euro muffler directly off the turbo??? what was the result?? besides being louder

To all the board members who I have conversed with ... thanks for the coaching. I really have a much greater appreciation for these cars and a much better understanding of their inner-workings.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)