View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
"The car is a hybrid - mid-year S chassis, 3.2 brakes (currently), 915 trans, 21 & 30 t/bars."

You have a show stopper in the mix.
Your 915 tranny will not endure much more than 350ft/lb of torque over the long haul.
Darn it Rarly, are you clairvoyant?

Update: On closer inspection, it looks like the mag-cased 915 had been quite unhappy with less than that... Most of the bearing races had spun in the case, the 5th gearset was blued - probably oil slosh under prolonged boost on the track.

The verdict was that the mag cased box could be rebuilt and would "probably be fine for street use, but russian roulette on the track".

I don't mind a car that isn't prepared for a 12 hour enduro, but I certainly want to be able to run the odd track session without a scene from The Deerhunter.

Sourced a 3.2 915 with an oil cooler, MB Engineering are to go through it and fit a spray bar kit and other goodies.

If that doesn't hold up long-term, it'll either need the WEVO cases with the SS bearing saddle goodness or even a 930 box.

A taller 5th can't hurt, either. I feel no pressing need for more top-end speed per se, but slightly more relaxed cruising wouldn't be unwelcome.

LOL - Nick, why am I not surprised you have a picture of the car at a gas station? It'll pass most everything but one of those...
Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)