View Single Post

930 Brake Job Tech Article

I just thougt I'd share my brake job write up because there isn't many 930 specific tech articles. I'm NO BRAKE EXPERT, this is just how we did it. All I can say is WOW they made a HUGE difference.

930 Brake Job:

My rotors were past due, so I did a complete removal and replacement of the rotors and pads along with adding SS brake lines and removing the dust shields. So with the help of Wayne Walter (Oh Haha) and Randy Doine we got started.

First off, start by jacking up your car and supporting it.

Remove the wheels.

Spray PB Blaster or WD40 on your hard brake lines that go into the caliper and your caliper bolts and let it soak in good.

Remove the pad wearing sensors.

Remove the pad retaining springs and remove the pads

Next unhook the hard brake line that goes into the caliper. Place a pan to catch the brake fluid.

Unbolt the caliper and remove. The fronts have a couple of spacers between the caliper and the mount.

On the rear:
Remove the spacers using a rubber mallet and putty knife and PB lube to separate.

Remove the two screws that hold the rotor in place. Hand held impact driver can be helpful here if they are stuck.

Then the rotors slide right off.

On the front:
Remove dust cover. I used a slide hammer with a piece of threaded rod and some nuts and washers. It came right off.

Remove wheel bearing retaining nut by inserting a long allen wrench through the hub housing access hole into the retaining nut set bolt.

Unscrew the wheel bearing retaining nut.
Pull off the rotor being careful to catch the outer wheel bearing and washer.
Remove the rotor from the hub
Clean as much of the old grease out as possible.

NOTE: At this point itís a good time to install the SS brake lines if you want and to adjust and clean your parking brakes.

Optional step 1:
We took a hacksaw and cut a couple grooves in the brake pads about 2/3 of the way through. This allows the dust and gasses to escape better.

Optional step 2:
We removed all the dust shields. Remove the fronts by removing the three bolts and it comes right off. The rears are more difficult. You have to remove the parking brake assembly to get to the four bolts that hold it on. Then all the bolts are removed we cut the shields in half and they fell right off.

Clean the inside part of the rotors before installation. Itís just easier to do off the car.

Reassembly:
On the rear:
Install the new rotors.
Hook up hard line to the Calipers and immediately install the calipers.
NOTE: Itís easier to get the line installed with the calipers not mounted.
Clip in the new pads with the retaining spring.
Insert brake pad wear sensor.

On the front:
Repack inner bearing
Install new seal if you removed your inner bearing.
Install new rotor to the hub and slide it on.
Install the repacked outer bearing and washer
Screw on wheel bearing retaining nut snug and back off till the washer underneath the nut is slightly moveable without much pressure.

Tighten the retaining nut set bolt by inserting a long allen wrench through the access hole in the hub.

Install the dust cover using a block of wood and a hammer.
Hook up hard line to the Calipers and immediately install the calipers.
NOTE: Itís easier to get the line installed with the calipers not mounted.
Clip in the new pads with the retaining spring.
Insert brake pad wear sensor.

The next step is to bleed the brakes. Since 930 calipers have two bleeder screws on each caliper we treated each one as itís own caliper. So instead of thinking of four calipers we treated it like it had eight calipers. But we used the same method as a four caliper car. This is the order we used:
PS Rear outer
PS Rear inner
DS Rear outer
DS Rear inner
PS Front outer
PS Front inner
DS Front outer
DS Front inner
We did this process twice since we ran all new brake fluid through to assure it was bled properly.

CHECK FOR LEAKS!

No leaks, Good!

All thatís left now is to put the wheels back on and get it on the road.

This is a VERY important step. The new pads have to be seated properly with the new rotors. This is done by going roughly 40-45mph and applying firm brake pressure and come to a stop quickly, but not a panic stop. Then drive some to allow the rotors and pads to cool. Then repeat a couple more times at 40-45mph. Repeat again a few times at 60mph, and 70mph allowing the brakes to cool sufficiently between stops.

Now you are all done! GOOD JOB!

DISCLAIMER: This is the way WE did it. You should consult a Porsche service manual for more detailed instructions.

Written by: William Campbell
Special thanks to Wayne Walter (Oh Haha) and Randy Doine for making this article possible.

Ain't it just sexy:

Sorry about not having more pics. The article was an after thought.

Last edited by wcc; 04-03-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)