View Single Post

Re: Great info

Quote:
Originally posted by Downerman
Ok... I am getting good information but the one thing I am not getting is this: (i look to see what year each poster has trying to see if there is a common year) Is there a known year that is known for it's balance between power and reliability? I have heard that the 78-79's are big on H.P. and anything 82-86 is a euro. 87-89 have the G50 and so on. POsitive and negitives? Any?

Dave
78-79 930 have the Euro CIS fuel system and exhaust, even in the US. The later US cars don't.

Only the '89 930 had the 5-speed box.

I thought that the motor on the 91-92 965 is pretty much a 930, but the body/suspension/interior is different, whereas the Turbo 2 (93 on?) makes more power due to revised intercooler, turbo, doesn't this have a Motronic instead of CIS?

And then there's the 3.6 turbo...

Earlier cars are lighter; think that crash protection equipment is at least part of this.

Probably more important to find a good example, unless there's a specific reason to get fixated on a particular year.

I don't think they're unreliable as daily drivers, just possibly a little too, uh, intense for some people's taste...

A blown M491 G50 car is a cheap route to a lot of things that add up fast if you start with a 4-speed 930 and want to end up with big power.

But you may find that even a stock or mild 930 feels like insane power and you don't want much more.

It must have been absolutely shattering in the 70's when most ordinary cars had much less power. It's still very exhilarating today.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)