View Single Post

Okay, let's be specific:

The 1976 model weighs 2635 pounds and has manual steering and brakes. That's the car I have, and the brakes are normally upgraded to the later 78 and onward turbo rotors and calipers by most owners. I love the manual simplicity of the '76, and the light weight. Manual brakes feel good when you set them up good.

The 1977 adds some power assist braking and about 30 pounds of weight, but it is pretty nice to get the boost assisted brakes if you like that. It has a couple small refinements.

The 1978 adds over two hundred pounds and a 3.3 torque monster of a motor compared to the previous 3.0 litre, to compensate. The engine is moved further back in the engine bay by an inch or two, and sometimes people try and squeeze it forward again, but a lot of people don't really notice any handling difference, especially with some good modern tires. What I like about my 3.0 litre is the crankshaft comes out of the 2.7 and therefore is very fast spinning, also the flywheel is lightweight and the '78 and on often go back to a lightweight flywheel as a performance mod. My car already has that built in! On the other hand, the 3.3 litre can be very easily modified right up to 500 hp, whereas the 3.0 can be modified that way but is better suited to be modified as a sporty, quick revving high rpm motor as opposed to a torque monster like the 3.3. You can make a 3.0 litre just as highly modified as a 3.3, and keep it's free revving character, but the 3.3 really fits extreme horsepower applications well.

The '78 and onward have the better brakes and bigger engine and tea tray spoiler instead of the whale tail so that they can fit a intercooler. I am not personally aware of any 'safety' or 'crash' related features that where added outside of the brakes. I could be wrong.

The late 80 models have bigger stock wheels and I believe the fuel management is more sophisticated, I could be wrong here but I think they went to O2 sensors and what not.

If you buy an older model you can often register it as an antique, although not normally if you mention that you are going to commute in the car. There are usually many benefits from running an antique, such as no inspections required, at least in a lot of states.

I bought my 1976 set up a certain way, but if I was going to start with a totally stock 930 and than build it from there I would get a 78 or 79. Lighten it up with fiberglass front and rear bumpers, get a better intercooler, and an easily modified engine. Get it registered as an antique. Enjoy.

Last edited by DDDD; 04-04-2007 at 07:52 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)