View Single Post

Bump! No-one ever replied to this one

Does anyone here run an aftermarket CDI like a MSD or Crane?

I'm running 0.035" gaps on my plugs, but may drop it down further to between 0.028" - 0.032" so the plugs fire reliably at higher boost levels (~1.25bar).

Anyone got any experience with these CDI's in forced induction applications?

I know the factory manual says to gap the plugs at 0.6mm or 0.7mm (0.024" or 0.028" respectively), but that's for the stock ignition. For high powered CDI ignitions, I presume I can open up the gap bigger due to the hotter, more powerful spark?

The million dollar question IS, how much larger can I go? I don't really want to go TOO BIG and risk misfiring under heavy loads

If the factory recommends 0.7mm with stock ignition, I presume I should be able to go 0.032" without any dramas.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)