View Single Post

G50 vs G90(90 or 96)

In retrospect to power holding(torque) capabilities, do you guys think it's worthwhile spending the money on a newer GT2/GT3 based transaxle, or just sticking to my guns and getting a rebuilt G50 with some internal work(P.M. steel syncros, gearset, etc)

I've been working on developing a hybrid/custom Porsche project car here for myself. Mid engine, RWD, single turbo LS1, ~600crank HP/tq. Car will probably weigh in the neighborhood of 2-2100lbs. Think Factory Five GTM in a different skin..FF claims to have used a G9096 in their prototype GTM with the LS7(~505hp)(and said to have paid $4500 for it according to a Grassroots article?!?!!?)

My dealer cost on a new G90.96 is ~$12K which I've heard is capable of holding that kind of power reliably. Would you trust a built and refurbished G50 to hold that 600-650 mark with ease and reliability??? Oil coolers and the supporting anchilaries are already here for such a transmission endeavor, I'm just talking about the main guts of the transaxle itself.

Eh......I don't know Post your thoughts or comments...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)