View Single Post

Garage
GHL muffler install and wastegate operation ??

Well I got the GHL euro muffler and I must say it is a nice piece of fabrication...

My Gripe is that the existing original US muffler support plate needed to be modified extensively....every one at Pelican and GHL said no problem that it would fit right up to the old plate and the support bands would hold it in place...wrong!

Does the OEM euro backing plate allow for a closer fit to the GHL muffler??

Anyway the car is back together after 3 weeks.....

Question.... When I had the entire exhaust down I inspected the waste gate ...I pushed the piston plate down a number of times to feel the tension on the spring...no big deal...

However with the new muffler on and test driving tonight when I got on boost and got up to .8 bar on the gauge it stayed there as I continued towards red line and only when I shifted did the presure drop and climb back up....

B4 all this work ( removal of air pump and plenum manifold, valve adjust and dropping the whole exhaust system) when I got on boost I would push up to .8bar but then the gauge would loose pressure indicating the wastegate was kicking in. Would the diaphragm be stuck from my pushing it?

I thought that as the pressure climbed your wastegate would begin to open little by little and when you hit .8 bar it would dump pressure by opening completely...

Any thoughts?
Oh yeah I now hear the turbo whine....sweet......
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)