Thread: 1/4 mile times
View Single Post

I wish I knew my accurate 1/4 mile time.....the previous owner had a friend with a Viper and his Porsche was definitely faster 0-60 and such. Only above 120 mph, the Viper was faster, because 930 aerodynamics stink.

I was able to beat a supercharged Mustang. I didn't abuse the clutch, I just let it out like normal. So the Mustang got a jump, but my car was faster ultimately. I found out more about the Mustang from some friends around town, the guy that owns the car is a mechanic and his car is supposed to be a major build. The hood was huge on that thing, it was all bulged out. My P-car just weighs so much less and has short gearing, no real secret tricks up my sleeve.

I don't think that you need to dump the clutch at all to launch a 930, just let the clutch out like normal and then step on the gas just hard enough to get going but not hard enough to spin the tires. In fact, if you are gentle and smooth letting off the clutch and then give it the proper amount of throttle, you can be quick and consistent in your starts with no drivetrain abuse. And you can practice all the time, at every red light if you want. The less dramatic you are with the clutch, the smoother and quicker you can get off the line. Dumping the clutch will only get you a repair bill.

Traction is very important to fast starts, and if you can find a sweet spot where you are accelerating fast but not spinning your tires, you are going to be at maximum acceleration.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)