View Single Post

enigne shuts down "still"

Ok today after driving for about 1/2 hr. at a stop sign the engine died. I also noticed that the factory overboost was pegged past the 1.0 bar, engine not running. Prior to that it had been running within .1-.2 of the 3" vacuum boost gauge. I also noticed that just turning on the ignition switch caused the factory boost gauge to peg.

I unhooked the wire from the "brand new" overboost switch turned on the ignition and the boost gauge did not register. I tried to start the engine and it would not start (maybe not the overboost switch). I re-attached the wire to the overboost switch and low an behold the engine started? I have been fighting this problem for over a month. I have changed out all of the relays red, black and the infamous little yelllow box cleaned off the contact ends of the related fuse ends.

This problem is intermittent. The first time it happened I ended up getting the car towed home. Tried to start it after 3 , 6, 10 hrs sittting finally 24 hrs later it started. I then replaced the overboost switch. 20 miles later the engine hesitated a couple of times cruising at 60 mph (factory boost gauge indicated past 1.0), but luckily the engine never stopped.

I am getting the impression that the problem is not the the overboost switch, but everytime the engine has stopped there seems to be a relationship to the boost gauge pegging past 1.0 bar).

I am visiting my mechanic next week to look at a wiring diagram to see if I can trace down the wiring.

Any thoughts on anything else I might check?

thanks,
Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)