View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes, with CIS you need to use a recirculation valve so no Fast -n- Furious noises.

- Headers go anywhere from $800 to $2500 depending on heat and brand.
- K27S or like turbo will set you back $1300 - $1800 depending on choice.
- Brian Leask's adjustable WUR is $300 or you can make your own for free.
- Ported heads are free if you do it, thousands of $$$ if a tuner does it.
- Free Flowing Muffler will set you back anywhere from $200 for a MagnaFlow to $1500 for a polished B&B or the like. Shoot me an e-mail when you're ready and I'll make you a great deal on the muffler of your choice. I have many.

- Meticulous cam timing and tuning. I can't say enough about that. There is a definite "sweet spot" that can be found in each set up. You must find it. With CIS 400RWHP, 1800rpm boost threshold, and 22mpg are possible. Notice I did not say cheap or easy but possible.

Paul - there is power to be freed with a large ID muffler. The stock unit has a single 2.5" outlet and is not a straight through design. They are good, no doubt about it, but with mods you need to open it up and straighten out the path. I have designed a muffler and sent it out for welding, should get it back next week and put it on a dyno. The baseline run was done with a stock Euro muffler. I will share the results with everyone.
As for porting the heads, it is the exhaust ports that gain most from being opened up. The intake can be opened to releave the valves. The stock intake manifold will flow into the 400+RWHP range.

A good tuner knows all of these things and can do it for you. Be specific with your needs and realistic with your wants. It is easy to allow someone else to spend too much of your money on something that you might not necessarily need to meet your goals.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)