View Single Post

Things I have learned about turbocharging a NA car

Well Just wanted to post a couple of my thoughts for those thinking about doing this.

1st a 9.3:1 sc engine can handle .4 bar of boost as long as you don't overboost.

2nd Over boosting is typically caused from incorectly hooked up wastegate,or faulty wastegate,or signal line being melted from being to close to a heat source.

3rd the sc engine with .4 bar of boost is wonderfully fast and safe if kept within good AFR's using a WB02 works well for this.

4th oil drain for the turbos is very very important almost as much as correct fueling of the car.

5th oil feed lines should be kept clean and properly sized . there is allot of bad information out there about restrictors etc. after talking with todd at protomotive and a bunch of turbo rebuilders they stress that in the aircooled market you need allot of oil.

6th if you rebuild an engine you should install a filter on the feed line to prevent any of the break in material from the engine from contacting the bearings on the turbo. the difference here between the turbo bearings and the engine bearings is that the turbo spins upwards of 90,000 rpm so heat can kill pretty fast. And the filters are considerable cheaper then a turbo.

7th talk with as many rebuilder/turbo suppliers you can to choose the correct turbo size and manufacture you can. I am very happy with sizing of my turbo but the brand did not really stand behind there work.

I hope that helps some of you thinking about doing this and if anyquestions let me know. Just thought this could be helpful

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)