View Single Post

Garage
Waste gate straight pipe vs. factory muff pipe

So I was up at the Hershey event and a guy was selling T-304 stainless waste gate straight pipes. I bought one since it was a great price----$50 instead of the $100-125 I have seem floating around on the board.

I had recently dropped my whole exhaust system, took off the air pump assembly and installed a GHL Euro muffler. The waste gate straight pipe was a 5 minute change out... thanks to new bolts,nuts and anti-seize when I replaced everything last month....anyway here are my thoughts on the straight pipe replacement and the effects on performance...

The straight pipe opens slightly as it should as the car begins to drive .6-.8 bar boost... nice sound... not sure it was worth it from a performance perspective...again it makes a harrowing sound.

The performance of the factory pipe I believe makes the car feel a little stronger because of the internal cone structure within the muffler can....it creates back pressure in the exhaust and thereby keeps the boost or the feeling of boost up.... seems logical to me...any thoughts??

If I replace the spring- 1 bar...I still will have the bleed off... just maybe a little later in "under boost yahoo.."
Again thoughts????
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)