View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mic
Since I looked at EFI long and hard for several years I would say based on your shopping list, you are sitting around $4500 before you consider EFI and tuning.
Adding basic EFI using your CIS manifold has different cost/benefits over a Carrera intake EFI conversion. However, if you go carrera intake add about $600 (average if you find one) then you have to add another $1000-2500 for new I/C). Going with CIS and adding injector blocks and fuel rails will allow you to stay with your C2 I/C. However, if using carrera I/T then do the porting.

If you stay with your CIS manifold and use the conversion kits i am guessing around $2500-5000 for the cost (depending on ECU).

The cost of any EFI solution depends on what ECU you are going to run. Difference between MegaSquirt and MOTEC is $300 compared to $4000 + the cost of sensors. Whether you run O2 vs WBO2, sequential vs batch, twin plug (yes you could twin plug the heads).

You can keep your BOV if you stay with CIS intake. I maybe willing to sell you a 46mm tial WG for $450 (unused in the box) but you dont really need that either.

If you are going EFI, then skip the SC cams and go 964 cams.

In all my research, you can burn lots of money with bolt ons, but you are still limited by compression and cylinder bore. If you are planning to put $10k on bolt ons, you should consider a few more in beefing up the compression at least (not a big expense once you get those heads off). You get lots of return response wise by bumping the compresion to 7.5:1 just by spending a $1000bucks on a set of JEs +rings.

Now that takes you into new considerations... larger jugs, con rods, etc.... IT NEVER STOPS MAN. Just sign over the paychecks to the mechanic and have fun.

(just my 2cents)

BTW: I got lost in this decision making a few years back. I decided to start fresh using a long stroke motor (993 base) with the biggest bore that i could afford and biggest port heads that are available. You dont want to know how much $$ has been going into the motor. (at least i will say, i could have purchased a fine 993TT by now - i am still not close to finished).

mike.

Set a budget and make sure that is the only amount the wife knows that went into to it.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)