Thread: New owner!!!!
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by pavulon
Thanks for all the well-wishes. I'm excited to see the car (had it PPI'd and had my brother inspect it in person). Honestly, I'll tell you all that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it is my first Porsche. I really hate regret so decided to get the car I want the first time.

One issue I've struggled with from the beginning is that I live in a very small, rural town (4,300 people) and will posses the only running P-car here. I'll be curious to hear the comments made as I have tried hard to keep a low profile since moving here 8 years ago....there is no real anonymity in a town this small. I'm not big on apologizing for doing no wrong but work in our town's small hospital w/ patients daily. Patients seem to know plenty about me before I introduce myself. I'll be asked about it as soon as word gets out and am leaning toward remaining humble and telling them that I'm very fortunate to have such a car. Anyone else had to explain such things to strangers before?
The 930 is my first Porsche too. It's the car I've lusted after for over 30 years so that's what I got. Plus I like tons of hp .

I find most people think these cars are worth a lot more than they are. The first day I drove my 930 to work I heard that one of my coworkers was asking other coworkers how I could afford an $80K car on my engineer's salary. Once I tell people I only paid $22K for it, they don't think I robbed a bank or worse yet, get paid too much. Obviously an '89 is worth more than my '79, but it's probably worth less than the general public thinks it is. What I do try to keep quiet is how much I spent to rebuild the engine and add EFI, but that's just so they don't think I'm a fool .
Old 05-18-2007, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)