View Single Post

In my opinion, it not the build quality of these headers that's in question but rather the material used. 304 stainless is a good choice for header use but is NOT 100% fail safe in longevity on turbo applications and corrosion resistance when heated. It doesn't quite have the heat resistance of 321 but cost nearly 40% less on average and it's main reason for use in production run headers. Many of these subsidiary companies(like OBX, and the like) use 304. So does B&B though for that matter...

It may sound rediculous, but if you have any brand of 304 stainless headers the extra $300 or so it costs to have Jet Hot ceramic coat your new set of headers is going to pay for itself 20 fold down the road in looks, longevity, heat retention inside the header(faster spoolup) and less heat radiation from the headers themselves(under the boot). After you get them back the ceramic can then be polished to look just as shiny as new stainless......and it will stay that way as long as you own the car

Here's an example of a set of bike headers I built from 321, then ceramic coated and polished.....click link to view picture

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/lowlife8.jpg
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)