View Single Post

Garage
Thank you for the replies guys, I have been out of town, and just now able to tinker with the car. I followed up on all of your suggestions, hoping to find the problem. I replaced all the ic seals O rings etc that I could get my hands on, including the BOV at either end of the piston. Didn't find any problems and no improvement. Also checked the wastegate as per Bolt, removed it and found the valve to be sealing properly, and confirmed by no exhaust coming out of the wastegate dump pipe. What I did find was that the vacuum advance unit was damaged by the po, probably when dropping engine to replace the clutch. The stem metal stem coming from the right side of the pot (advance?) was broken, and someone had done a crappy job repairing it. the opening was full of rust. After trying to clean it, I cannot get it to function using the old suck test. I am pretty sure the unit is kaput. I have ordered a new unit to replace it, and have some questions. A. I am really confused about the operation of this system. My car is an 87 with two ports to the vacuum unit. the port to the right ( i believe this is the advance side) connects to a switch of some kind mounted to the BOV manifold, then works its way toward the TB. The other side goes up toward the top of the case. then down to the TB. When I hook a vacuum meter to the advance side (right nearest fan) I get 14 in hg with a warm engine and drops when advancing the throttle. the other side doesn't seem to produce any vacuum warm or cold. is this condition normal? B. will a properly functioning Vacuum unit give me a noticeable improvement in performance? C. is the unit difficult to replace? I read a post recently that explained in great detail how all this stuff works (with pics) I think Rarly made the post, but can't for the life of me find it. Sorry about the novel here, and I appreciate all the help.

Eric
Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)