View Single Post

Garage
Thanks for the suggestions.
Its not the brakes. The car rolls freely, as long as I use the clutch. I aggree, that it may be the engine, since moving the car without clutching is impossible. But my instincts tell me otherwise. An engine failure (causing the engine to seize) would generate a lot of heat and smoke; wouldn't it. I had normal engine temp, and no smoke before the lock-up.
Also, the fact that I can't shift into any gears lead me to the conclusion that its the tranny.

My guess is a seized bearing, or that the tranny somehow got locked in two gears at the same time. Any supporting theories?

I have drained the fluids,and the engine oil, although used, looked and smelled fine. Tranny oil, has only a few hundred miles on it, looked even better but smells bad like tranny fluids do.

After the cars stopped, there was a bad smell of burnt oil. SInce I had massive traffic right next to me on the freeway offramp, I was too busy getting the car out of the way to start searching for the source of the smell. Did't see any smoke though.

Should I just send the tranny away for service? Since I have aquired some experience when rebuilding the transmission, I think I should be able to find the fault. Then again, me rebuilding the transmission is probably the cause of this mishap. Then yet again, sending it away leaves me non the wiser.

Appreciate any input.
1972 BMW 3.0S

Last edited by aseem; 05-27-2007 at 02:49 AM..
Old 05-27-2007, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)