View Single Post

SpeedRacer,
if you've run these turbos for awhile with the "Lazy" oil return problem you could have saturated the compressor (oring) seal and the turbine (ring or carbon) seal to the point where they are failing . This really won't allow you to determine if your other remedies are correcting the original oiling up problem.
I would send the units out for re-sealing (not expensive ), any turbo rebuilder of Garretts can do it.
Are your Garretts dry style or wet style ? Only dry turbos should be used on an air cooled engine, as the wets are designed to carry coolant thru them. A Garrett engr @ SEMA explained to me that a wet style turbo will eventually fail if run w/o coolant.
On the oil drains, I've only used #12 for the past 30 years w/o problems. Gravity drain into any available valve cover, chain cover ( circa BAE style) and even the case -- I've done this with xlnt success. What you need to avoid is draining into the oil level--you need to be slightly higher than the oil level.
Positive displacement 12V pumps work OK, but fail when people leave them running w/o any oil running thru them, such as key on / engine off.
Don't give up !
Marty
Old 05-28-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)