View Single Post

Garage
Ok, I dropped the engine tonight, and separated the tranny. The problem is obviously the tranny, as it does not rotate in neutral. I can move the diff shafts half a turn,but then its stuck. So I first take off the nose cone, everything looks fine, exept some blackening of the driveshaft bearing. Not much, but not clean like it was the last time I had the tranny open.

Then I remove the outer casing (how come there is always one nut that manage to sit there undiscovered?) and voila, the tranny turns freely again. So a sigh of relief. I think, its just the bearing!

BUT, then when i rotate the diff shafts I discover that the output shaft has a noticable throw at the top end. I don't know if its called throw in English, but the shaft moves at least a millimeter from side to side when rotated. Its "crocked". I also noticed a metal shaving at the bottom of the casing. I haven't been able to find the source of this yet.

I have a feeling that this is bad news, and is going to cost me.... But I wander what can have caused this?

Some pics from the operation.....

What do you think of my new dp front spoiler? You can see from some of the pictures, my home made paint booth that I haven't taken down yet.

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)