Thread: Ot: Gas Prices
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by pmc847
Jeff,

But the original question still applies, is 10% profit margin gouging, immoral or unethical? And if so then it needs to be applied to all forms of business.

Philip
DOES it need to be applied to all businesses? i would argue that it most certainly does not. Access to transportation is a NEED in our society, not a WANT. A bicycle is not a practical alternative, unless you're living in a city, and that is virtually the only form of transport that does not need some form of fossil fuel. Mass transit only works if you have it available. Where I am, and in many of the more rural parts of our country (and there is more that is rural than there is urbanized), private transport is the ONLY viable alternative. That makes gas/oil/diesel a necessary utility, much like electricity. and yes, we can and should do all we can to conserve (does it really MATTER if global warming is happening or not?) for a variety of real reasons, but the oil megoliths should not be making such outrageously obscene profits off of a commodity that is necessary for sustained existence - at least if people want to maintain a lifestyle anything similar to those we currenly enjoy.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)