View Single Post
Regenerated User

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jluetjen
I can 2nd what Legion is saying. I'm in technical sales (and I'm not even an engineer!) in the electronics industry. Each industry and company is different. I've generally found that Electronics is far less political then lets say -- insurance or real-estate. I spend my days getting to know my customers and what they want and need, and then try to help them to understand what the firm I represent offers for technologies and services that will help them to achieve their objectives. For the most part, the politics are what I would call "good politics" as opposed to "bad politics". To me "good politics" means different people with different (but largely reasonable and rational) objectives -- and part of my job is understand them all and develop a strategy that accomplishes what I want to accomplish -- namely buying from the firm I rep for, while taking into account the varied objectives of those different people. There is also relatively little "bad politics" -- which means people jerking you around because just because they can, and stuff like that.

So a lot of it is finding the right industry. Generally technology and innovation are inversely related to "bad politics". When people's jobs depend on getting the best product out first, they become very focused on the essentials. One industry that would seem to be high in these factors, and you might be qualified for is bio-mechanical products. So new tools, instruments or products used in the health-care industry. An added benefit is that there is a very clear connection between what you'd be selling and real benefits to real people.

Give it a thought!

Continuing with this merging sales and engineering, I'll give another personal example. My wife's best friend is a chemical engineer with 3M. She has been on the fast track too. She is now a manager, she's been working overseas and all over the country. She's working on her MBA now, but the thing that keeps her from real advancment is her lack of sales experience. She's been told this by those at the top.

Funny you'd think a 38 yr old hot blonde mgr would be married by now, but she works all the time and has no personal life. -Never married and no kids. Of course her unrealistic ideal man doesn't really exist either.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)