View Single Post

Some cheap test instruments are good, some are worthless. One of the primary reasons good test equipment cost so much is the calibration data associated with it. Buy a pressure gauge and it's cheap, now buy with with calibration data and look how much the cost goes up.

You can find some good test equipment on eBay at decent prices if you look around long enough as eBay is not really a big marketplace for such an item. I would still test on metals of known properties first while record results for use in development of any needed calibration data. I would at the very least get a known piece of 321 and 304 for reference data.

The cheapest and easiest way to verify the material would be buy a cheap tester, a piece of 304 stainless steel, and a piece of 321 stainless steel. Test both pieces you just purchased several times at different points on their surfaces and record the results. Now test the material of the headers at several points and write down your findings. With the compiled data take the averages for each known specimen and the unknown headers and compare. You could go overboard here and analyze deviation and such but if you only plan on using the tester once or twice don't waste any more time, unless you are like me and enjoy such activity.

Last edited by Noah Holcomb; 06-01-2007 at 03:10 PM..
Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)