Thread: GS Lust?
View Single Post

I love the GS, but after just getting back from a 4-day, 600 mile tour of the WA Olympic peninsula on my DRZ, I'd say that if you have the garage space, don't try to do it all with a single bike.

The GS is a great all-arounder, but even on a mostly gravel forest service road route, there were at least half a dozen places where I would have been very uncomfortable on a 500-lb bike and a couple places where the DRZ got through easily where the GS wouldn't have, or would ahve sustained thousands in damages getting through, like a nasty stream crossing in 2 ft of fast water covered with slick boulders. And "not getting through" sometimes means a 50-mile backtrack.

While the DRZ wasn't terribly comfortable on the highway, I did 50-mile freeway stretches at 70 mph+ without major issue. On the tight twisties, I was untouchable.

The GS is really a comfy road bike that's slightly better on gravel roads than a pure street bike. If that's your envelope, great bike.

- Mark
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)