View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
where can those P&C's be found? I've tried a search to no avail.
There was a thread on the Rennlist turbo forum, the guy was offering 20+ sets of brand new, boxed, Mahle 965 pistons and cylinders, initially for $1,550.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?p=3844705

A few people thought "too good to be true", a few people (including one who lived locally and physically collected his) bought them and found them to be exactly as described.

Last I checked (February/March) he had 17 sets left, offered @ $2,200 each. I came this >< close to buying a set just on general principle.

I no longer see them there, sorry y'all.

Quote:

But I really want it to sound lumpy. We have a guy in our local Porsche club with a 3.2NA( I know it's different for NA motors) but it sounds fantastic at idle, very cammy.

SC cams will give it a loping idle, and "really wakes up a 930 motor" (Chris Powell). I don't think 964 cams are very different, and I seem to remember reading here somewhere that 993TT cams are pretty much SC cams with different ramps for the hydraulic tensioners...

Raising static compression ratio a tad helps too. With an open "muffler", my 'Merkin friends remarked that it sounded like a '69 Camaro at idle. I fitted a muffler that didn't set off car alarms when I started getting the urge to wear a wifebeater and grow a mullet...

Although running 8.0:1 means you can't run 1 bar boost without 100 octane gas (thanks to this board), on reflection I'd rather have better off-boost characteristics - for a street car - than run the extra .2 bar of boost.

Last edited by spuggy; 06-15-2007 at 02:51 AM..
Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)