View Single Post

Re: The Beginning of a Potential Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by jimz49
[B]...Approximately 250 - 300 miles into the ride, I noticed (felt) the beginning of a thumping, similar to slight flat spot (or cupping) on the rear tire. The odd thing is I only noticed it in 5th gear.
It's possible that there's a tranny issue, but it's pretty unlikely. The 6-speeds are very reliable. The first step in any suspected drivetrain problem like that is to drain the gear oil from the tranny and the final drive. If the oil is clean, it's highly unlikely that there is a problem with those components.

If you want to check out the driveshaft, put the bike on the centerstand in first gear and bump the wheel back and forth to take up the slop in the drivetrain. The character of the 'bump' at each end is what you're feeling for. If it's a clank, you have a problem. If it's a clunk, it's probably OK. Make sense? Well, at least compare it to another bike if you can.

It might just be some harmonic between the tires and the engine at that speed.

BTW I don't know that any BMW bike has ever had a straight-through gear; they certainly haven't for the last 55 years or so.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)