View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally posted by aftermath
Talk to the DMV. Is the CAR ROW or just grey market because of something registered on the title? Do talk to your insurance. Your probably ok, if DMV didnt like the car, they would have been all over it when it was brought in ( assumming it came from another country - ROW ). If its a salvage title issue, you may have lots of issues. Which can be as complicated as locating pictures of the salvage issue, documents ( pictures ) showing the repair, invoices for parts going into the repair, special inspections, etc. Spend the time, talk to DMV and insurance, trust me

Hi,
I have a '85 930. Bought in Louisiana. Had it titled there for 8 years before moving to Alabama. To title it in Alabama, they wanted all the paperwork to show it had been correctly federalized for Import. My wife tracked down the paperwork and does not remember exactly what she did.

The point I am making here is that this "run around" happened 15 years after being imported, and after it had been titled in 2 states prior to Alabama. You need to make sure you have all the DOT federalization paperwork before you buy the car IMHO.

I guess this wouldn't matter if:
1) You know you can title and register in your state w/o EPA and DOT records
2) You don't plan to move to another state and take a chance you'll never be able to drive the car there. You would never be able to drive that car in Ala-Freakin-BAMA.
3) You don't mind taking the chance that if you ever try and sell it, someone or everyone interested may want the papers. I was told mine was federalized, and let it go at that untill I ran into the Alabama DMV and then the fun began to find the documents.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT

Last edited by les_garten; 06-16-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)