View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by les_garten
Hi,
I have a '85 930. Bought in Louisiana. Had it titled there for 8 years before moving to Alabama. To title it in Alabama, they wanted all the paperwork to show it had been correctly federalized for Import. My wife tracked down the paperwork and does not remember exactly what she did.

The point I am making here is that this "run around" happened 15 years after being imported, and after it had been titled in 2 states prior to Alabama. You need to make sure you have all the DOT federalization paperwork before you buy the car IMHO.

I guess this wouldn't matter if:
1) You know you can title and register in your state w/o EPA and DOT records
2) You don't plan to move to another state and take a chance you'll never be able to drive the car there. You would never be able to drive that car in Ala-Freakin-BAMA.
3) You don't mind taking the chance that if you ever try and sell it, someone or everyone interested may want the papers. I was told mine was federalized, and let it go at that untill I ran into the Alabama DMV and then the fun began to find the documents.

Les
Wow, this could be a big mess. I will call the DMV and get more information before I finalize the deal. Actually I did call them and told them I was interested in putting a collector car tag on it and they said it wouldn't be a problem since the car this year is 25 years old. I didn't however ask if they had to see all the Fed paperwork. I assumed since it had a USA State of PA title that it was considered proper and case closed.

Thanks for the tip.... I will check further into it.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)