View Single Post

Not for nothing, but this "parable" sounds like something written from the Union point of view. But as anyone knows from reading the headlines, perhaps their main expense facing GM and Ford right now is the healthcare liability of their union workers. It constantly saps any money that they might put into R&D etc. I imagine that even at Toyota UAW plants, the situation is not quite the same.

I don't blame the unions....I blame GM for cutting such ridiculous deals in the first place.

I also blame them for caving to jingoism and not truly globalizing the company like Toyota and Honda did. As the "Parable" points out, Japanese companies are not so narrow-mindedly Nippon-centric as to only produce in Japan, but rather produce cars wherever they sell them...including the US. That serves as a natural hedge against currency risk as well as diversifying your manufacturing costs and risk. It also lowers shipping costs.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)