View Single Post

Ignition Timing and Distributor question

I have an '88 930 that I'm trying to sort out. First thing is setting the timing. I know it should be at 26 degrees BTDC at 4000 RPM, but how do you determine where 26 degrees is? To clarify, I do have a timing light, and see two marks for timing - one on the fan housing, and on on the pulley - I assume when these line up that this is zero? Is 26 degress (or any other mark) on there? If this is zero, I roughly figured 26 should be about 1.2 inches over. I've looked everywhere and nothing I've seen tells me.

Second thing - the distributor has 2 vacuum ports. I pulled a vacuum on the port on the "right side" (facing engine from back of car) which caused the timing to retard. Pulling a vacuum on the other port seemed to have no effect on the timing. What should these ports do? I assumed pulling a vacuum on the "left" port would cause an advance in timing? But you know what happens when you assume...

Thanks much

-Rod

Last edited by Boxster Rod; 06-23-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)