View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stephen914
Continued

After coffee we went over to Chestertown to checkout Adirondack Ural. Ural is a Russian motorcycle based on the BMW R71. Legend has it that five BMW units were covertly purchased through some Swedish intermediaries and copied. Soviet engineers in Moscow busily dismantled the 5 BMWs. They copied the BMW design in every detail and made moulds and dies to produce their own engines and gearboxes in Moscow. Everything about the bike was reverse engineered and early in 1941 the first trial samples of M-72 motorcycles were shown to Stalin and the decision was taken to produce them.

Seventies Man and Amaelia talked to one of the customers that owns a Ural Patrol that he proudly proclaimed gets a new paint can army green spray job every year.

I had to gas up my BMW so while Seventies Man and Amaelia finsihed talking I rode up the street to gas up. 93 octance fuel was $3.57 up there! Yikes! So I rode back down and we head back out on Rt 8 towards NorthCreek passing Loon Lake on the way. We continued on through Northcreek, onto Johnsburg and went up Garnet Lake Rd to stop at Heid's Hodaka & BMW.
Heid's was once a factory BMW dealer but they still do service out of thier building. Its a family run business and they live right next door. I even bought a turn signal stalk for my R11S while I was there.

This was a mechanics bike

There was lots of cool stuff there. Lots of vintage bikes, a newer Triumph Sprint.

Even this cool Bultaco
Matador!

There was a very old school feeling inside.

2000 R1100S
Ztechnick exhust
FosterRad Fuel Chip
Ohlins F&R
BMW MOA#125237

http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/

Last edited by stephen914; 06-25-2007 at 11:34 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)