Thread: 73 speedster
View Single Post

the car took about 2 years to do. not counting labor, i have around $15K in it. the windshield was the hardest part, being the cowl had to be reshaped to accept the bolt on unit, and tubes positioned and welded into the door jambs for the bolts to go thru. i found it in Hemmings for $1600, new, complete with visors and mirror. bob anziano was most helpful with advice and pictures of a real speedster cowl with the w/shield off, because i had nothing to go by. the doors are modified to accept the factory speedster windows, regulators and check straps, as well as the rubber seals on top, so they look factory. 993 door handles and mirrors were used. door parts cost was around $1500. an '87 dash was fitted with the straight knee pads. the glovebox lock had to be moved to the left to use the later padded facia. SC steering column and switch housing will fit then. anziano's sold me the '94 hump for $700. the OEM C2 rockers came from patricK motorsports in AZ for $300, used. the rear bumper was made by fitting the center section of a front bumper to the original outer wraparounds, SC rear fender extensions were fitted to mate up with the SC flare (some reshaping needed so the bumper shape blended in properly), the lower bumper panel is 18ga sheet metal, extended down to hide the monty muffler. behind it is a stainless heat shield, wrapped in heat blanket (as well as the whole muffler and turbo), so the paint will stay on the bumper. the wrap around bumper allows the use of a rear reflector. new turbo fuel lines and both pumps were used. a posi unit was installed in the 81 trans. it has a complete SC wire loom with the late inner fender mounted fuse panel. 80L gas tank, and the LF inner fender panel was modified for the monster battery mount. the RF battery box was removed to provide room for an '87 oil cooler and fan. power brakes are grafted in from the SC, and so far the stock SC brakes seem to work fine, being it's pretty light. i agonized over the tail for awhile, but it seemed to continue the curve of the hump nicely, so i used it. i'm a tail guy. all the metal work was done here in the shop, and the paint was farmed out. i bought a strosek speedster hardtop from an ad in pano, and i'm thinking about painting it silver, like the wheels, just to be different. maybe.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 08-25-2007 at 08:02 AM..
Old 11-14-2001, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)