View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to micko77
Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn
Jim, I'm not responding to you anymore. I swore not to a year or so ago, but I got sucked in again. Knock 'em dead, drive safe, enjoy your bike.

- Mark
Well Mark, maybe they are invoking special relativity. After all, it seems this new BMW does approach relativistic speeds by Dr Curve's account. I suppose if you don't use the earth's inertial frame as your reference this bike can do 160mph stock, but other than that I think aerodynamic drag gets to be a b*tch.

As Mark stated, you can't calculate top speed from gearing and as someone else stated, working with two significant figures can't possibly yield more than two back anyway. Top speed is solely about drag and horsepower. Other effects are so small they can almost be neglected. Drag is proportional to velocity squared so that expanded series will converge rather quickly compared to other effects

What's it matter? Someone laid down a GPS challenge and no one has had the balls to try it. Hell, I'll let someone borrow my eTrex Vista and do a run. Radar, speedo, yada yada...they are all inaccurate compared to the accuracy of a modern GPS.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, and I don't necessarily think that the bike won't do 160. I have no clue nor do I care that much. Just quit arguing about it...get a GPS and end the discussion.
2004 BMW R1100S
2005 Mercedes C230w
2006 Ducati Sport 1000(sold)
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)